As enthusiastic online gamblers our team knows the kind of problems that can arise with online gambling. That’s why we’d like to make our knowledge freely accessible to all fans of online gambling, and to offer support in matters related to online gambling.
In this context, we offer information on the following topics:
- Age restrictions in online gambling
- Responsible gaming
- How to avoid problems
- Setting limits
- Main help organizations in case problems arise
We hope to cover as many questions as possible with these topics, but if you have other questions or suggestions, please, feel free to contact us.
Any underage player who makes false or incorrect statements regarding their age loses all claims on their winnings with most providers, and can be prosecuted.
Most providers request all players to confirm that they are of age, and that they are entitled to take part in online games in accordance with the laws applicable in their respective countries. The providers take all the proper measures to check this information. Moreover, most providers’ marketing and advertising activities don’t target underage players.
Most providers employ different mechanisms in order to check and avoid that underage persons take part in their online games. Examples are:
All new users are required to agree to the General Terms and Conditions and click a separate checkbox in order to confirm that they are at least 18 years of age when opening the account. In order to confirm their personal information new players often have to enter their name, address and date of birth, and confirm that they are at least 18 years old. We at online-casino-check.net expressly recommend that all online gambling games be made accessible only to players who are of age, and that’s why we ask users and players to take proper precaution measures to ensure that underage persons don’t access our games from their computer or their account.
This applies especially for players who have underage people in their immediate environment. Please consider the following elements when logging in to your provider’s gambling software:
- Never leave your computer unattended as long as you’re logged in to our software.
- When you want to leave your computer, make sure you’ve blocked access with a password.
- Keep your account number and your password in a safe place.
- Don’t activate the function „save password“ on your login screen.
- Use security software on your computer in order to restrict access to certain websites and programs for underage users.
- Never share your credit card or account information with underage persons.
- If you start the gambling software on a different computer (for example a friend’s or a family member’s), or if you log in from a different location (an internet cafe, airport, hotel or a different public location) make sure there are no underage persons around while you play.
- If you learn that an underage person uses the gambling software, please contact the support of the respective online provider with all the necessary information, including the username this player logs in with.
At online-casino-check.net we believe that online games and especially online gambling is something that should serve as entertainment and pastime. But for some people one round at the gambling table can already prove too much. This is why we encourage every player to play responsibly.
In this context, all players should consider the following guidelines when sitting down at a table or when starting to gamble:
- Set yourself a limit – don’t play with money that you can’t afford to lose.
- If you’re about to bet the money you saved for rent, paying the monthly installment for your car or for tuition, then you should stop gambling and leave the table.
- Don’t try to balance your losses by playing further – everybody loses once in a Don’t go in with more money hoping to win back the smaller stakes you lost.
- Don’t play when you’re tired, angry, depressed or under the influence of alcohol – playing well requires focus and attention. If your mind isn’t in the game, you shouldn’t play.
If you have the feeling that online games are becoming a problem, we recommend that you seek help with special organizations. We listed a few of the main help centers at Main help organizations.
Set your own limits
Many providers introduced a series of functions that enable players to generally better manage and organize their time, money and game. Among them we can name:
- Setting your own deposit limits
- Setting your own gaming time limits
- Setting your own ante limits
- Setting your own casino stake limits
The limits players set usually apply for all online games offered by the respective provider.
Setting your own deposit limits
Players can better manage their online game budget with the function „set your own deposit limit“.
For example, you can set individual weekly deposit limits.
Once you’ve set your deposit limit, many providers also count money transfers from other providers to this limit. For example: if your weekly deposit limit is of 100 EUR and you make a deposit of 50 EUR from a provider account to the current game account, you will only be able to deposit further 50 EUR for the rest of the week.
For more information please contact your provider’s customer support.
Setting your own gaming time limits
The function „gaming time limit“ allows you to set specific gaming time for an online game. Usually you can choose between one hour and eight hours per day. The limitations can be removed later. For more information please contact your provider’s customer support.
Setting your own ante limits
Setting your own ante limits gives you the possibility to exclude yourself from games where certain ante and buy-in levels are exceeded.
Usually you can set individual stake limits for No Limit, Pot Limit and Fixed Limit Ring Games, or you can block access to all games of this type.
For multi-table and sit & go tournaments (including Jackpot Sit &Goes) you can often set a maximal buy-in amount, or block the access to all tournaments of this type.
For more information please contact your provider’s customer support.
Setting your own casino stake limits
Setting your own casino stake limits gives you the possibility of excluding yourself from games that exceed certain stake levels.
For example, you can set a maximum amount for Blackjack, Roulette, Baccarat, Slots and live casino games, or you can block access to all games of this type.
For more information please contact the provider’s customer support.
Online-casino-check.net recommends all players, but especially new and inexperienced players, to use the possibilities offered by these limitation and restriction-setting functions for online gambling.
Many online gambling providers give players the possibility of excluding themselves temporarily or permanently from certain games. The period of exclusion and the general possibility of limited exclusion can vary with every provider. In order to protect players, a decision regarding exclusion can’t usually be taken back afterwards. The purpose of this measure is to prevent that players with addiction potential fall prey to their addiction.
Before you decide on self-exclusion you should first take your time to think about the following questions:
- Did you ever neglect your work or education because of an online game?
- Did you ever neglect yourself or your family because of an online game?
- Did you ever sell something or borrow money in order to finance your gaming activities?
- Did you ever play until you’ve used up your entire deposit?
- Did you ever play for longer than you had planned?
- Did you ever consider harming yourself or even commit suicide because of your gaming activities?
If you answered, „yes“ to more of these questions then we recommend that you contact one of the main help centers, such Gamblers Anonymous.
If you wish to request exclusion, what you need to do with most providers is write an e-mail to support with the desired period of time and game or games that you wish to be excluded from. Many providers even offer the possibility of excluding yourself from the game for the desired period of time directly from the game software. After a short authority check you’re usually irrevocably excluded for the desired period of time.
The exclusion usually means:
- Automatic logoff from all tournaments that take place during the period of exclusion.
- Deposits or payments to other players aren’t possible anymore.
- An anticipated end of the period of exclusion isn’t possible.
In order to keep safe from the danger of signing up with another provider and playing during the period of exclusion we recommend that you take a look at GamBlock. GamBlock is a software application that restricts a specific computer’s access to online gaming pages. Here is a link to this software: http://www.gamblock.com/
Main help organizations
If you get the feeling that online gaming is becoming a problem, we recommend that you seek help with one of the specialized organizations. Below we’re offering a short list of the main help centers.
Gamblers Anonymous offers the possibility of talking to other people about gaming addiction and of organizing meetings to share experiences. There are also many tips that can help you handle or rein in your problem.
GamblingTherapy is an international platform that offers help e-mail, help chat and help forums as well as international self-help groups on the topic of gambling problems. The page and service are available in around 30 languages.
Gamble Aware is an Irish organization with the purpose of raising awareness and spread knowledge on the topic of gambling problems. This page offers phone support that people with gambling problems can call anytime in order to talk about their problems and to seek help.
Spielen mit Verantwortung is a German page that offers support in the fight against gambling problems. This page has been made available with the help of the Federal Office for Health Education, and it offers a lot of informational content as well as free and anonymous phone support.